This web site could comprise affiliate hyperlinks and promoting in order that we will present recipes to you. Learn my privateness coverage.
This onion gravy is hands-down the BEST! It’s wealthy, savory and stuffed with candy, caramelized onions that actually take it to the following stage.
Onion gravy is significantly a game-changer in relation to including taste to your favourite hearty dishes. Attempt it on some mashed potatoes or over salisbury steaks! It’s so scrumptious, you’ll wish to lick your plate.
Caramelized Onion Gravy Recipe
I by no means thought that I’d love onion gravy as a lot as I do. Now that I’ve tried it, I don’t suppose I can return to common gravy. The caramelized onions add essentially the most superb taste and texture! They’re good and savory but additionally add a contact of sweetness to the gravy.
Moreover the caramelized onions, this gravy is made with beef broth, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce for a wealthy and savory style with a touch of tang. It’s so good, you’re going to wish to put it on all the pieces. Hen fried steaks, pork chops, meatloaf, bangers and mash, you identify it! Onion gravy is a must-add to any hearty meat dish. Right here’s all the pieces you should whip it up:
Substances for Onion Gravy
Onion gravy is nice as a result of it makes use of lots of easy elements. This gravy is your personal, be at liberty to go away out something you don’t like, or regulate the seasonings and sauces to style! (Take a look at my ideas part under for variations.) Notice: measurements that I used can all be discovered within the recipe card under.
- Giant Yellow Onions: These are the bottom of our gravy. When cooked, they launch their pure sweetness and change into completely caramelized.
- Butter: Used to cook dinner the onions in. Butter additionally provides an general richness to the gravy.
- Honey: Honey enhances the pure sweetness of the onions and provides some refined taste. Another substitutes you should use are maple syrup or brown sugar.
- All-Objective Flour: We’d like one thing to thicken our gravy, and flour does the trick! It additionally helps to offer the sauce a easy consistency.
- Beef Broth: Beef broth provides depth and meatiness to the gravy.
- Garlic Powder: Just a little little bit of garlic powder goes a great distance. It provides a pop of savory goodness! You can too use contemporary minced garlic or roasted garlic if you happen to want.
- Thyme: A basic herb that works superbly with the savory taste of this onion gravy.
- Salt and Pepper: Season to style!
- Dijon Mustard: This would possibly sound uncommon, however belief me, it really works! The mustard provides a tangy be aware to the gravy and helps to stability out sweetness.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Worcestershire sauce is a basic ingredient in beef dishes. It provides a savory umami taste that enhances the meat broth and onions completely.
Methods to Make the Greatest Onion Gravy
Getting your onions to caramelized perfection is quite a bit simpler than you’d suppose. From there, all you must do is mix the remainder of your elements, and you’ve got a scrumptious home made gravy prepared in half-hour!
- Add Onions and Honey to Skillet: In a big pan or skillet, over medium-high warmth, soften the butter. Add the sliced onions and honey to the skillet and cook dinner till the onions are tender and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
- Combine in Broth and Flour: Add the meat broth and convey it to a boil. Cut back the warmth to low and add within the flour. Whisk repeatedly to include effectively, and keep away from leaving any flour chunks behind.
- Season: Proceed to simmer the combination on low warmth till it reduces. Stir within the seasonings, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk effectively and proceed decreasing the gravy till it’s the desired consistency.
- Get pleasure from: Serve over mashed potatoes or along with your favourite beef entrée!
Ideas and Variations
Onion gravy is so scrumptious and can take dinner to the following stage. Use these tricks to make it simply the way in which you prefer it!
- Different Forms of Onions: In case you don’t have yellow onions, you should use white or pink onions as a substitute. They’ll have a barely totally different taste, however it’s going to nonetheless be scrumptious. You’ll have to check totally different varieties out and see which one is your favourite!
- Make it Vegetarian: You need to use vegetable broth as a substitute of beef broth if you wish to make a vegetarian model of this gravy.
- Use Soy Sauce: An amazing substitute for Worcestershire sauce is soy sauce! It should add an analogous umami taste to the gravy.
- Serve With: Dice steaks, hamburger steaks, pot roasts, sausages, roasted hen, you identify it! Onion gravy is a brilliant versatile condiment that you should check out with your entire favourite hearty meals.
When you’ve made your scrumptious onion gravy, don’t let any leftovers go to waste! They’ll simply be saved and loved later so as to add some hearty taste to your meals.
- Within the Fridge: Retailer in an hermetic container for 3-4 days. Reheat over the range on medium warmth when able to serve.
- Within the Freezer: Switch your onion gravy to a freezer bag and retailer for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than you reheat it.
In a big skillet, over medium-high warmth soften the butter. Add the sliced onions and honey to the skillet and cook dinner till the onions are tender and start to caramelize, about 10 minutes. Stirring periodically.
Add the meat broth and convey it to a boil. Cut back the warmth to low and add within the flour. Whisk repeatedly to include effectively, and keep away from leaving any flour chunks behind.
Proceed to cook dinner the combination on low warmth till it reduces. Add the seasonings, Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Whisk effectively and proceed decreasing the gravy till it’s the desired consistency.
Serve over mashed potatoes or along with your favourite beef entree!
Energy262kcal (13%)Carbohydrates12g (4%)Protein3g (6%)Fats23g (35%)Saturated Fats15g (75%)Polyunsaturated Fats1gMonounsaturated Fats6gTrans Fats1gLdl cholesterol61mg (20%)Sodium1149mg (48%)Potassium173mg (5%)Fiber1g (4%)Sugar5g (6%)Vitamin A738IU (15%)Vitamin C5mg (6%)Calcium33mg (3%)Iron1mg (6%)
All dietary info relies on third celebration calculations and is simply an estimate. Every recipe and dietary worth will fluctuate relying on the manufacturers you employ, measuring strategies and portion sizes per family.