Candy and tangy citrus desserts scream summer time. And even if you happen to eat gluten-free, concern not: you possibly can nonetheless relish the zest of this gluten-free citrus cake, courtesy of Alison and Jay Carroll.
Our staff lately gathered with Alison and Jay at their Joshua Tree dwelling, and by the top of the night, we loved this delectable cake, topped with strawberries and coconut cream. It’s gentle, fluffy, and also you’d do not know it’s gluten-free (until, in fact, you learn this prematurely). Alison supplied us with the complete recipe for this cake in order that we might get pleasure from all of it summer time lengthy.
Alison Carroll’s Gluten-Free Citrus Cake with Strawberries and Cardamom Coconut Cream
Alongside along with her recipe, Alison shared some ideas and tips for baking the most effective citrus cake. She notes that including citrus zest to your sugar and massaging briefly earlier than including it to your batter is essential to bringing these scrumptious citrus flavors ahead.
“Add the zest to the sugar and therapeutic massage together with your fingers for a couple of minutes—it’ll stain the sugar the colour of the citrus and actually brings out the oils from the zest, amplifying the flavour. And it’s a pleasant factor to spend a couple of minutes doing. You’ll surprise why you haven’t been doing this all alongside, and what different issues might you apply zesty sugar to. Pancakes? Toast? Oats? Sure! However I digress…”
Topped with candy cream and strawberries, this citrus cake is the summer time dessert of your goals.
- 3 tablespoons citrus zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 stick room temperature butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup yogurt (I used coconut)
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- strawberries, trimmed and quartered
- additional sugar
- 2 cans coconut cream, full-fat
- powdered sugar
- cardamom powder
- The night time earlier than, put the cans of coconut cream within the fridge in a single day so the fats on the floor solidifies and is chilly.
- Warmth oven to 350 F. Begin with hulling the strawberries with a heavy pinch or two of sugar in a bowl on the counter. It will draw out juices and make them mushy and flavorful.
- Subsequent, begin zesting the citrus. I used a blood orange, a pomelo grapefruit, a tangerine, and a Meyer lemon. Any citrus works! However I’d use a grapefruit or lemon within the combine for the tartness.
- Add the zest to the sugar and therapeutic massage together with your fingers for a couple of minutes—it’ll stain the sugar the colour of the citrus and actually brings out the oils from the zest, amplifying the flavour.
- In a bowl of a standing mixer (or with a bowl with a whisk), cream the butter and sugar collectively till clean. Add the eggs, one by one, and whisk so the batter is shiny.
- Add the olive oil, vanilla extract, and yogurt. Stir to mix.
- Add within the flours and baking sodas and powders. If I had been a correct baker, I’d inform you to combine them first to make sure they’re nicely mixed, however I’m not that kinda baker and this isn’t that kinda cake so simply give it somewhat additional whisking.
- Pour right into a greased loaf pan and bake for 45 minutes or till finished with tester within the middle. Cool within the pan.
Let’s make some icing, it’s scrumptious and vegan!
- Take the fats from these cans of coconut. You gained’t want the liquid so save for one thing else.
- Add a pinch of cardamom and begin with two tablespoons of powdered sugar and whisk away. A neater job for an electrical mixer when you have it.
- Style as soon as it begins setting and regulate the sugar. I don’t like mine too candy, however you do you. Maintain going till it’s a fluffy whipped cream.
- Take the cake from the pan, prime with cream, and spoon over the juicy strawberries. Serve.