Position Title: Safeguarding Intern
Reports to: Safeguarding Manager
Group/Department: University of Global Health Equity (UGHE)
Location: Kigali & Butaro, Rwanda
Duration: 3 months
The University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a Rwandan university focused on building the next generation of global health professionals. The institution aims to reimagine health education to ensure that quality health care reaches every individual in every corner of the globe by building a cadre of health professionals who strive to deliver more equitable, quality health services for all.
In keeping with its vision of equitable delivery of services the UGHE’s HR department is seeking a Safeguarding Intern who can provide support with the institutions roll out of a safeguarding initiative which will outline how stakeholders (staff, students, partners, parents, and suppliers) should operate to ensure the protection of all members of the community. Safeguarding is a means of protecting the health, well-being, and human rights of individuals at risk enabling them to live safely, free from abuse and neglect.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the improvement of safeguarding policies, and practice, sharing areas of best practice and identifying where improvements are required.
- Identify and manage a risk register for tracking and safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse, staff health and wellness, safety and security whilst mitigating against harm.
- Work with Safeguarding Manager, to ensure that the Safeguarding policy commitments are embedded in all polices and contracts e.g., HR manual, transport policy, IT policy, communications policy, vendor contracts & MOU with Partners e.tc.
- Identify whether the UGHE has in place functional safeguarding standard operating procedures (SOPs) with focal point persons both for staff, students, contractors and the community.
- Work with Communications Specialist or the communications team and to create, print/publish safeguarding Information, Education and Communication (IEC) materials to sustain awareness of the UGHE’s commitments.
- Establish, implement, and monitor community-based reporting and feedback mechanisms in collaboration with relevant project teams and key community stakeholders.
- Orient stakeholders supporting community-based reporting and feedback mechanisms
- Work with the Safeguarding Manager to publicize complaints and investigation procedures among staff, students, contractors, partners, and community.
- Assist with referral mapping process.
- Make recommendations for improvement where feasible and appropriate.
- Human Resources Development or related Social Science training
- Experience in an office environment preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong communication skills, at all levels, both written and verbal
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Solid organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Manage own workload and meet tight deadlines, often under pressure
- Tact and diplomacy to work with confidential information and build relationships
- Respect and diligence
- A high degree of professionalism and the ability to follow instructions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Gain exposure to a fast-paced, collaborative office environment
- Work side-by-side with a highly experienced HR executive
- Organize and attend company meetings and networking events
- Communication allowance and internet facilitation.
Commitment to Safeguarding and Prevention of Sexual Exploitation, Abuse and Sexual Harassment:
At UGHE, we are committed to ensuring that those who benefit from our work- including community members – as well as our students, contractors, staff and visitors to our campus are treated with dignity and respect and protected from sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment and any form of systemic abuse, whilst reducing risk and vulnerabilities. A range of pre-employment checks will be undertaken in conformity with UGHE’s policy. UGHE will request information from applicants’ previous employers about any findings of fraud, harassment, sexual harassment and any form of systemic abuse or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms their understanding of these recruitment procedures.
How to apply
All qualified candidates should submit their applications by using the” Apply for this job” button below by the 20th of of October 2022.