Seeking a successful operations leader with a minimum 4 years of progressive experience and a track record leading high stakes operations to grow our seed potato production program in Rwanda whose goal is to serve over 200,000 farmers in the next 5 years.
About One Acre Fund
Founded in 2006, One Acre Fund supplies 1 million smallholder farmers with the agricultural services they need to make their farms vastly more productive. Our 8,000+ team is drawn from diverse backgrounds and professions. With operations across six core countries in Africa, we make farmers more prosperous by providing quality farm supplies on credit, delivered within walking distance of farmers’ homes, and agricultural training to improve harvests. On average, the farmers we serve harvest 50 percent more food after working with One Acre Fund.
To learn more about our work, take a look at our Why Work Here blog for more information.
About the Role
You will manage process design for our growing potato seed operations which will serve over 200,000 Rwandan farmers in the next 5 years. Using analysis you will improve all potato seed operations to ensure they are done in an appropriate, efficient and cost-effective manner. You will also lead health & safety and develop / implement strategies for operational efficiency.
You will report to the Potato Seed Venture Lead
- Outline potato seed operational management systems and implement the right processes and best practices for the department.
- Help the department to engage in efficient potato seed production processes while remaining legally compliant.
- Formulate strategies for improving the team’s performance.
- Provide and document staff safety training with special focus on job specific training.
- Examine financial data and use them to inform strategies for seed production processes.
- Assist to manage budgets and monitor seed production goals.
- Ensure all potato seed operations are carried out in an appropriate and cost-effective way.
Career Growth and Development
We have a strong culture of constant learning and we invest in developing our people. You’ll have weekly check-ins with your manager, access to mentorship and training programs, and regular feedback on your performance. We hold career reviews every six months, and set aside time to discuss your aspirations and career goals. You’ll have the opportunity to shape a growing organization and build a rewarding long-term career.
Across all roles, these are the general qualifications we look for. For this role specifically, you will have:
- A bachelor level degree in Operations Management or a related field. Related masters degree is desirable but not compulsory (Business management, process engineering, etc).
- Minimum 4 years of progressive management experience in process implementation.
- Potato production or seed experience is an added advantage.
- Familiarity with seed business and financial principles.
- Health and safety management qualifications.
- People management expertise with a track record of leading a team in efficient operations.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement strategies.
- Ability to collaborate with individuals with very different identities and skill sets.
- Analysis, synthesis and communicating data. Excel skills particularly an asset (can maintain complex spreadsheets with advanced functions)
- Microsoft Office and Google Applications
- Fluency English is vital, Kinyarwanda desired
Preferred Start Date
As soon as possible
Health insurance, housing, and comprehensive benefits
One Acre Fund can support a work permit for this role. However, nationals of (or those with an extensive professional background and work history in) our countries of operation are preferred.
14 September 2022
One Acre Fund never asks candidates to pay any money or pay for tests at any stage of the interview process. Official One Acre Fund emails will always arrive from an @oneacrefund.org address. Please report any suspicious communication here ([email protected]), but do not send applications or application materials to this email address.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI), and anti-racism are deeply connected to our organization’s mission and purpose. One Acre Fund aspires to build a culture where all staff feel consistently valued, represented, and connected – so that our team can thrive as professionals, and achieve exceptional impact for the farmers we serve.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.